My iPod Touch is only a little more than just a month old today but I still keep discovering new things I can do with it. Honestly, I use it to listen to music only a quarter of the time.
There are a gazillion other things you can use it for. Between Bede and I, here’s our most frequently used list:
- Watch videos – You can use a tool called HandBrake to convert your videos to make it iPod ready.
- Check your email – check your Yahoo! or Gmail email. If you use Exchange Server at work, you can also configure the Touch to grab your work email.
- Chat with your peeps on YM – download the YM app from iTunes
- Surf the web – my golly! a lot of sites have been “mobile-d”. My faves include m.nzherald.com, facebook, even inquirer.net (but their formatting on the iPod sucks)
- Play Games – Bede uses it for Mafia Wars for iPhone (addict!), I like the egg balancing game, they also have Assassin’s Creed!
- Read Ebooks – I use Stanza from iTunes, it’s freeee!
- Check the weather – weather in multiple locations
- Check your stocks – enjoyable only if everything is going up!
- Alarm clock
- Ohh.. and it can play music (and audio books) too! 🙂
- Run with it – my Nike + sensor and pouch will arrive on Monday so I can’t wait to try that. 🙂 The iPod Touch second gen comes pre-built with a “receiver” for the Nike + sensor.
Up until recently, my iTunes account was limited to the Philippines, which unfortunately only features Apps. Kinda frustrating because Filipinos don’t have access to a lot of the good stuff.
Well I finally got in iTunes USA and oh my golly all the good stuff, here’s some of them:
- Podcasts – especially the video ones are just great and of course, FREE. Currently subscribed to: NBC Nightly News, HBO’s CTRL, Happy Tree Friends, among others.
- Movies – almost all movies come with a price tagg (only about $2.99), but there are some freebies like movie trailers. Downloaded Ponyo and Alice in Wonderland.
- iTunes University – courses from MIT, Stanford, The George Lucas Educational Foundation, Edutopia!!!! While I was in ISU, I attended a podcasting seminar conducted by Apple, and even back then it was just so cool! I just downloaded one entire semester Comparative Media Studies from MIT, it’s kinda old school though (literally) because it was from Fall of 2001. Haha. I love eeeet!
I must highlight the last one because it’s just SO amazing, I can’t believe I almost forgot about it.